There are times when you need to replace one item in Takeoff with another. For example, you may have taken off a 200A-3P4W feeder with 3/0 THHN, and then realized you should have used XHHW instead.
There are a number of ways to replace this item. The simplest is to take off the XHHW and delete the THHN. You can take off the same length of XHHW that was used for the THHN, modify the labor factor to match, then delete the THHN from the feeder assembly.
An alternative method would be to perform the same steps, but insert the XHHW directly into the assembly. Highlight the THHN line and begin taking off the XHHW, but change the setting in your Quantity Dialog from Append to Insert when you take off the XHHW. The item will be added to the assembly in the location you’ve placed your mouse on in the assembly and the quantity of the item will be tied in a relationship fashion to the quantity of the assembly. As an example, if you insert 360 ft of wire into the assembly, that length is a multiple of the assembly quantity.
Once the item is inserted you can then delete the THHN. This inserts the XHHW as an actual component of the assembly. This also gives you the advantage of being able to change the length of the conduit and having the length of the wire update automatically. (Note: The Insert feature in the Quantity Dialog box resets itself back to Append)
These methods are simple enough if you only need to change a single item in your Takeoff. If you need to replace this item throughout several Phases in your job, you will want to use the Replace feature by following these steps.
- Right-click the THHN line item and select Replace from the popup menu. The Takeoff Replace Item window will open, with the THHN displayed in the upper drop down at the top of your screen. This indicates that this is the item to be replaced.
- In the lower portion of this window is a complete list of all the items in your master database. Use the IntelliBid Explorer or the Find button to locate the XHHW in this list.
- Highlight the 3/0 XHHW CU (STR).
- You can now choose from a number of “Replace Options” that determine where this replacement is carried out:
- Selected Item Only (on just this line item)
- This Phase Only (on all instances of this item in the current phase)
- Entire Job (on all instances of this item throughout the job)
- Click the Replace button and you’re all done.
Look at the Audit Trail, and you’ll find that the THHN has been replaced with XHHW. It’s in the correct place in the assembly, and has the same length and labor factor as the original item.